The Black Box Theatre
MCC students explore the world of the theatre through courses on acting, character analysis, scene preparation, theatre design, scene construction, costuming, and lighting and you are able to enjoy fabulous entertainment as a result!
Announcing Auditions for the Fall 2022 Production of Heathers: The Musical
The Black Box Theatre is proud to announce auditions for Heathers: The Musical by Kevin Murphy and Laurence O’Keefe. Auditions will be held in The Black Box Theatre at MCC from 6–9 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, August 22 and 23 with callbacks held on Thursday, August 25 from 6–10 p.m.
Prepare a 2-3 minute upbeat song along with sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Dress to dance.
There are roles for nine women and eight men. Casting all ethnicities, genders, and body types.
The production will be directed by Jay Geller, with choreography by Maggie McCord, and musical direction by Tara Singer.
About Heathers: The Musical
Heathers the Musical is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: The Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid, J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized ass…but J.D. has another plan for that bullet. Based on the 1989 cult classic film, Heathers: The Musical is a hilarious, heartfelt, and homicidal new show based on the greatest teen comedy of all time. With its moving love story, laugh-out-loud comedy, and unflinching look at the joys and anguish of high school, Heathers will be New York’s most popular new musical. Are you in, or are you out?
- Character Descriptions
- Veronica Sawyer (age 18): She burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn't know yet how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she's an old soul, but she's still innocent enough to be blindsided by love/hormones (or shocked by cruelty). Voice: High belting required, up to Ab. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.
- Jason Dean (age 18): He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
- Heather Chandler (age 18): Richest, hottest, most magnetic, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it like a scalpel - no fear, no patience, no mercy. Voice: Strong belt to F or higher preferred. Mezzo for chorus. Note: In certain choral songs Chandler can switch parts with her other Heathers as needed.
- Heather McNamara (age 18): Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Voice: Strong belt to Db, D preferred. Soprano for chorus.
- Heather Duke (age 18): Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Alto for chorus. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus.
- Martha Dunnstock (age 18): Nicknamed "Martha Dumptruck", the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
- Kurt Kelly (age 18): Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky, mean, thinks he's the brains in the friendship with Ram. Voice: Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto. NOTE: in certain songs Ram and Kurt can switch choral assignment if, say, Ram sings higher than Kurt.
- Ram Sweeney (age 18): Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
- Beleaguered Geek (age 18): A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- Preppy Stud/Officer Milner (age 18): A blowdried 80's preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
- Hipster Dork/Officer McCord (age 18): A hipster Dork, thinks he's Ducky from 'Pretty In Pink.' Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
- New Wave Girl (age 18): A sullen goth girl. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- Stoner Chick (age 18): A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- Young Republicanette (age 18): A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
- Bill Sweeney/Big Bud Dean/Coach Ripper (ages 40 - 45): Ram's Dad: Former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes. Also plays Big Bud Dean: JD's single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber. Also plays Coach Ripper: Stalwart, man's man; quick to defend his players. Voice: Baritone/Tenor - power Country/Gospel belt to Ab, higher welcome.
- Paul Kelly/Mr. Sawyer/Principal Gowan (ages 30 - 45): Kurt's Dad: Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you'd be happy to share a beer with him. Also plays Veronica's Dad: Easygoing and distant. Voice: Strong Baritone/Tenor - power Country/Gospel belt to G, even higher better. Also plays Principal Gowan: Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict.
- Mrs. Sawyer/Pauline Fleming (ages 45 - 50): Ms. Fleming: Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Also plays Veronica's Mom: easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
Production Information for Heathers: The Musical
Rehearsal will be held beginning August 29 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays from 6 – 9 p.m. The production will run three weekends, October 28 through November 13.