Transferring to another school

  • Which associate degrees are intended for transfer?

    The following transfer associate degrees are for students interested in transferring to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor’s degree.

  • How can I be sure my MCC courses transfer to my four-year school?
    • Meet with an advisor! Transfer planning is a detailed process, and you're responsible for knowing specific requirements of the four-year school you are considering. Meeting with an advisor can help you prepare for a seamless transfer.
    • Transfer and Course Equivalency Guides provide recommended courses for specific majors at your transfer institution and course-to-course equivalencies.
    • MCC develops partnership agreements with four-year schools to help MCC graduates move smoothly to the baccalaureate level. Partnerships provide for special opportunities ranging from program-to-program articulation agreements to guaranteed admission agreements.
    • The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) is a statewide transfer agreement between over 100 Illinois colleges and universities that includes general education courses.
    • Transferology® is a tool to show how MCC courses transfer between institutions, how courses satisfy degree requirements, and the different majors institutions offer.
  • What if I know what I want to major in but I don't know where I want to transfer?

    MCC offers many tools and resources to help you choose your transfer institution.

    • Meet with four-year college representatives - College reps from four-year institutions visit MCC almost daily during the fall and spring semesters. Additionally, MCC hosts two transfer fairs in the fall and a Guaranteed Admission Fair in the spring. Speaking directly with transfer reps is the best way to learn more about the school and their offerings.
    • Review Partnership Agreements – including the guaranteed admission and articulation agreements MCC has established with colleges and universities in Illinois and across the Midwest. These may offer you peace of mind knowing there is a seamless pathway and generous scholarship opportunities.
    • Browse Transfer Planning Guides by Major
    • Visit Campus – MCC provides bus trips to visit colleges and universities located in Illinois and Southern Wisconsin so you can see schools first hand.
    • Meet regularly with an academic advisor – Academic advisors stay up to date on four-year transfer requirements. They'll guide you toward appropriate course work selection and assist with successful transfer to schools across the United States.
  • How can I learn more about four-year schools?
  • What is reverse transfer?

    Reverse transfer allows a former Illinois community college student who completed at least 15 credit hours of coursework at the community college and is now attending an Illinois state university to apply for an associate degree using requisite courses earned at the university. Through reverse transfer, the student has the potential to ‘transfer back’ university courses that count toward an associate degree and earn that associate degree even while they are in progress to completing the baccalaureate degree.

    A student may request a reverse transfer of credit from the state university to the community college previously attended by selecting the opt-in at enrollment or at any time thereafter while enrolled at the state university.

    In the event that the student has earned credit hours at more than one Illinois community college or Illinois state university, the student shall:

    1. Identify the community colleges and state universities at which any credit hours have been earned
    2. Authorize release of his or her transcript information from the community colleges and state universities to the community college identified for the purpose of earning an associate degree through a reverse transfer of credit.

College Fairs

Back to Top ⇑