Attend MCC as an International Student

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

McHenry County College (MCC) is a two-year public community college located in Crystal Lake, Illinois. We offer one-year certificate programs, two-year occupational degrees, and two-year baccalaureate transfer degrees. MCC is a commuter institution; no public transportation or on-campus housing is available.

If you wish to enter the United States to study, visit Study in the States for current Visa information.

  • What do I do to become an international student at MCC?

    At least four months before the semester starts, complete and send the following items to Admissions at MCC:

    • A completed application and non-refundable $15 admissions application fee.
    • A letter in your own words stating your intention to enroll in a specific program at MCC on a full-time basis. Note: 12 credit hours (per semester) are required for full-time status.
    • International Student Affidavit of Financial Support with required documents certifying that you have $29,500 available for your first year expenses at MCC. Note: MCC reserves the right to change this amount at any time.
    • A minimum score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 71 Internet-based or IELTS minimum score of 6.5 or equivalent test. Official results must be mailed directly from the testing service to MCC. The TOEFL code number for MCC is 1525. Enter this code on your answer sheet or on your Score Report Test Form. See the TOEFL website
    • Official high school and/or university/college transcript of coursework completed outside the United States.

    Direct all correspondence and documents to:
    McHenry County College
    8900 US Hwy 14
    Crystal Lake, IL 60012

    Email: | Phone: (815) 455-8530 | Fax: (815) 455-3766

  • When will MCC issue my U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services Form I-20?

    When all required items listed above are received and approved by Admissions at MCC, the college will issue a letter of acceptance and a Form I-20. The Form I-20 authorizes you to apply for the F-1 Student Visa at the local U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your homeland.

  • What do I do next?
    1. See the list of Consulates and Embassy locations
    2. Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to schedule an interview.
    3. Complete the Form I-901 and pay the $350 non-refundable SEVIS fee before the date of your interview in your homeland. See the online Form I-901
  • What if I have transcripts from a foreign country?

    University/college coursework completed outside the United States must be submitted to an organization that specializes in evaluating foreign transcripts. Read more about foreign transcript evaluation »

  • What do I do when I arrive?

    Once your F-1 Student Visa has been approved by the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your homeland, you will be ready to a travel to MCC. Plan to arrive at MCC at least two weeks before the semester starts. Contact Admissions at MCC immediately. You will be provided with information about your next steps at that time.

  • How can I calculate my first-year expenses?

    International students are expected to have sufficient funds to meet all expenses while attending MCC. The college cannot offer loans, scholarships, or other forms of financial assistance to international students. The following is a list of estimated educational and living expenses which the typical student may be expected to pay during each academic year of full-time enrollment (Eight months = fall and spring semesters).

    1. Student tuition $11,560
      International tuition based on 12 credit hours per semester at $464.38 per credit hour (subject to change without notice by official action of the District 528 Board of Trustees)
    2. Books, fees, miscellaneous $4,790
      May include supplies, travel, clothing, personal needs. and recreation.
    3. Living expenses $13,150
      If living with a family member/sponsor, this cost may be significantly less.

    Total $29,500