"I first took the placement test a few weeks ago and did not score high enough to get into classes I needed. Therefore, I used the Accuplacer practice testing program to assist me in my studies to achieve a better score. In the end I was able to score 3 points higher on my writing score and around a 20-point difference with my reading. So I encourage people to study off of the Accuplacer app to help improve your scores."
- T. Guidiño
You aren't required to take an English placement test if you received:
- ACT 19 or higher in English and 19 or higher in Reading or
- SAT (pre-2016) composite reading and writing score of 990 or writing score of 490 or higher
- SAT (2016 or later) composite reading and writing score of 480
Scores are valid for five years from test date. If you don't know which placement tests you should take, please consult an advisor.
- The English placement test includes an essay and a reading comprehension section and it begins with a tutorial that explains how to take the test.
- You'll read a short passage and a related question using a tool called WritePlacer. Then, you'll be asked to answer the question in a multi-paragraph essay (300 – 600 words) with no time limit. WritePlacer will grade your essay based the following characteristics: purpose and focus, organization and structure, development and support, sentence variety and style, mechanical conventions, and critical thinking.
- The reading comprehension test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. There is no time limit.
- We administer placement tests in the Testing Center during regular business hours. Schedule your English placement test
- You can retake the English placement test to achieve a higher score for free. We do request a 24 hour waiting period.
- MCC can provide accomodations for eligible incoming students for placement testing. Contact Access and Disabilities.
- Review sample essays and scores
- Review sample Next-Generation Reading test
- Download the ACCUPLACER Study App to your pc, phone or tablet
- Take a practice test - focus on the WritePlacer and Next-Generation reading comprehension sections
|Reading Score (200-300)|
|225 and below||226-236||237-250||251+|
|WritePlacer Score (1-8)||1-2||Automatic retest||Automatic retest||Automatic retest||Automatic retest|
|3||Automatic retest||Automatic retest||ENG 095 or ENG 097||ENG 095 or ENG 097|
|4||Automatic retest||ENG 095 or ENG 097||ENG 095 or ENG 097||ENG 151|
|5||Automatic retest||ENG 095 or ENG 097||ENG 151||ENG 151|
|6+||Automatic retest||ENG 151||ENG 151||ENG 151|
|251+||No reading required|