Fire Service Training
Continuing education for current rostered firefighters
MCC offers fire service continuing education courses to keep you up-to-date on the latest fire safety and rescue techniques and prepare you for the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) certification exams.
Noncredit Fire Service Training Courses
- Basic Operations Firefighter introduces basic firefighting skills and equipment and meets all the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) requirements for Illinois State Certification as a Basic Operations Firefighter, as well as National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications-Level 1. Noncredit seats are open to individuals who reside outside of McHenry County or those who wish to take this course without the intent to pursue a degree.
- Fire Apparatus Engineer is designed for firefighters assigned to operate fire department apparatus in the normal course of their duties.
- Firefighter Rope Operations provides students with the basic knowledge and skills to perform basic rope rescue at the NFPA 1670 and 1006 Operations levels.
- Advanced Technician Firefighter includes all required hands-on practicum for certification, advanced skills for Rapid Intervention Teams (RIT), and 20 hours of live fire evolutions.
- Vehicle Machinery Operations provides students with the basic skills to perform vehicle and machinery rescue at the NFPA 1670 and 1006 Operations levels.
- Water Rescue Operations covers the hazards and safety procedures needed to perform water rescues safely and efficiently.
- Watercraft Technician addresses emergent and non-emergent situations with a variety of watercraft including boats, wave runners, and specialized vehicles.
This is noncredit career training that will prepare you to earn an industry-recognized credential.