Did You Know This About Financial Aid?
- MCC's Office of Financial Aid communicates with students via email
You may receive emails in your @students.mchenry.edu email account on topics like:
- Missing Information – If you're selected for verification, you may be required to turn in multiple documents to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Award Notification – We'll alert you when you've been awarded and let you know how to find your offer letter on myMCC.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) – We'll advise you of your SAP status as well as your appeal results.
- We need your Social Security Number!
Sometimes, students who have not received notification from MCC about their FAFSA do not have an accurate Social Security number on file. While your social security number is not required at the time of admission, it is required to link your FAFSA to your MCC student account.
If you haven't heard from the Office of Financial Aid within two weeks of completing your FAFSA, please contact us at (815) 455-8761 or firstname.lastname@example.org to verify that we have your correct social security number.
- Veterans can register for classes on the first day of Priority Registration
When MCC priority registration opens each academic term, certified veterans are entitled to first-day enrollment. You should receive an email with your priority registration date. If you're not using your veteran education benefits, you are still entitled to first day registration. Please contact MCC School Certifying Official at email@example.com for details.
If you're using veteran benefits, each semester you must complete the Request for Benefits and Certification so that enrollment can be certified.
- You have to apply for Financial Aid each academic year
You must reapply for financial aid each academic year. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application that determines your eligibility for federal and state student grants, work-study and loan programs. The application is at studentaid.gov.
Both student (and parent, if dependent) will need to obtain an FSA ID in order to sign the application.
Designate McHenry County College as the recipient of the information; our federal school code is 007691.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you've already filed your federal income tax return, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to prefill the answers to some questions on the FAFSA by transferring data from your federal income tax return. This can save you time in completing the FAFSA while reducing the likelihood that your FAFSA will be selected for verification.
- There is an Unearned F Policy for Financial Aid Students only
Participation in courses and completion of assignments are two critical components to student success. Students who use financial aid and fail all courses in a term will be reviewed for participation. Students who cease participation in graded activities before the midpoint of the term will be classified as receiving a “not pursuing F” and a recalculation of their financial aid eligibility will be conducted based on their last date of attendance. The last date of attendance is defined as the last time the student participated in a graded activity within the course. This recalculation may result in a balance owed and may place future financial aid eligibility and registration for subsequent terms at risk.