Orientation Student Leaders
MCC's Orientation Student Leaders have the front-line responsibility of welcoming new MCC students and their families to the College. Orientation Student Leaders positively share what it means to be a student, and are an important part of making orientation and the transition to college exciting and enjoyable. They have the unique opportunity to build leadership skills and develop communication skills all while giving back to the campus community.
- Facilitate and participate in the New-Student Orientation programs, including on-campus orientations and welcome events.
- Execute preparation for all New-Student Orientation Programming, including, but not limited to, phone calls, data entry, organization of materials, and marketing of events.
- Guide students through orientation activities and lead students on campus tours and present to small groups.
- Become familiar with MCC degree and course information, campus resources, and assist students during registration.
- Serve as a role model and representative of MCC and set a positive example for new students.
- Follow all college polices and maintain the highest standards of professionalism and respect.
- Must be a current MCC college student. Students who will be graduating in spring term immediately preceding this summer may also apply.
- Minimum of one semester completed at MCC or in progress at the time of application.
- Knowledge and positive attitude of MCC.
- Must be available to work a minimum of ten hours per week throughout position term.
- Hourly pay (Illinois minimum wage).
- Develop professional relationships with peers, faculty, staff and students.
- Gain leadership experience valuable for career marketability and resume building.
- Get Orientation Student Leader gear including T-shirts and lanyards.
- Letters of recommendation upon successful completion.
- Time Commitment
- Work will take place from April to August with a minimum of ten hours per week.
- Participation in a combination of orientation programs, student office hours, and staff meetings.
- Attendance and participation in all Orientation Student Leader training(s) is required.
- Chosen applicants are required to interview with the selection committee.
- Once we receive your application and resume, Human Resources will contact applicants to set up an interview time.
- Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes.
- Application Instructions
2023 applications are closed.
Hear what students have to say
"Being an Orientation Student Leader not only helps new students become prepared for college, but it also helps you to develop as an individual. Throughout your experience as an Orientation Student Leader, you will improve your communication and leadership skills as well as your knowledge about the college you have come to know. You may find new interests and create new academic goals that will prepare you for life after McHenry County College. This is truly a life-changing opportunity and I hope you make the most of your time as an Orientation Student Leader."
- Cameron Strom
"My friends had recommended me to be an OSL because of my involvement and knowledge of MCC. I decided to apply, and it was honestly the best decision I could have ever made. Becoming an OSL not only gave me a better insight on MCC, but it also helped me to create networks and access to other employment opportunities available at MCC. It gave me experience in the field (Higher Education) I'm hoping to one day work in. Anybody interested in becoming a resource to new students should definitely apply for this job, I promise you won't regret it!"