Focus on the Kids:
Helping Your Child Cope
This program is mandated by the 22nd Judicial Circuit Court of McHenry County. Classes are held at the Shah Center of McHenry County College, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry.
Designed as a four-hour educational class, Focus on the Kids seeks to assist parents in understanding and responding to the needs of their child(ren) and to help their children cope with their feelings. This program is designed to offer parents the opportunity to learn about, and discuss the effects of divorce and separation on minor children. This class is intended to educate parents not counsel them.
Note: Participants must complete the program within four months of their start date, or MCC may require that participant pay the registration fee in full to re-register.
Focus on the Kids Registration
- The class is mandated for any parent in the process of divorce or who is involved in after-divorce proceedings in which there are minor children involved. Parents involved in parentage actions, and ordered by the court must also attend.
- Participants attend either two, two-hour classes or one, four-hour class. You may attend either two consecutive
Tuesdays from 7 to 9 p.m. or Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Call (815) 479-7591 for current schedule dates.
- Room location and class date will be included in the confirmation letter
that will be mailed to the address you register with.
- How Much:
- Course fee is $90 per person (materials included) and is due in full at the time of registration.
- How to Register:
- Phone with credit card or debit card information: (815) 479-7591.
- In person, bring your completed registration form to Shah Center where you may pay with credit card, debit card, or money order. Checks are not accepted.
- Mail completed registration form with $90 money order (checks are not accepted) to: Focus on the Kids,
Shah Center, 4100 W. Shamrock Lane, McHenry, IL 60050.
- When you complete the class, you will be given a certificate of completion. It is your responsibility to file your certificate of completion with the court.
- You will be charged a $15 fee for replacement certificates.
- Participants must be on time for each session. Latecomers will not be admitted to class.
- It is court mandated that parents can not attend the same class.
- Children are not allowed in the class. Please make childcare arrangements.
- Non-English speaking parents need to provide their own interpreter
- Each reschedule will result in a $25 reschedule fee. To reschedule call (815) 479-7591.
- All program facilitators are mental health professionals with a master's degree in the field of mental health or attorneys who specialize in divorce cases. All facilitators have extensive experience in dealing with divorce and its effects on children.