Guidance for Use of Chosen Name and Identity
MCC is committed to fostering an inclusive campus environment where all students, faculty, and staff feel safe and welcomed to pursue their academic and professional goals. As an institution that strives to meet the needs of our diverse community, we encourage self-expression and are dedicated to a campus that is respectful and supportive of these inclusive ideals.
Chosen Names and Pronouns
Students, faculty, and staff of MCC may choose to identify themselves using a chosen name that differs from their legal name, except when an individual’s legal name is required by law, policy, or business needs.
For some, a chosen name is an important part of their identity and may align more closely to the person’s gender identity. Gender Identity is the concept of self as male, female, gender non-conforming, or other gender identities.
For others, a chosen name is a professional name and aligns more closely with a name used to achieve educational and professional status. Where technically feasible, a person’s chosen name will appear instead of, or in addition to their legal name in select college systems and documents. A chosen name is not required, and if it is not provided, a person’s legal name will be displayed.
Additionally, individuals may choose to provide MCC with pronouns. Pronouns indicate a person’s gender identity, and every attempt will be made to use these pronouns when addressing individuals.
MCC defines each of the following name types:
- Legal Name:
- The name recorded on official/legal identification, such as driver’s license, social security, or any other official government-issued identification card.
- Chosen Name:
- The name an individual wishes to be known by, different from a legal name. This is the name an individual has elected to be addressed by while at MCC.
- Professional Name:
- A name that aligns with a person’s professional achievements and status
- A substitute, or abbreviation of a legal first name
Commonly Used Pronouns:
- A pronoun to use when someone’s identity is female (Her and Hers)
- A pronoun to use when someone’s identity is male (Him and His)
- A singular gender-neutral third-person pronoun used when someone’s gender is unknown or when the individual identifies as neither male or female (Hir and Hirs). Ze is pronounced “zee.” It can also be spelled zie or xe and can be used to replace she/he/they.
- A common singular pronoun that encompasses all gender identities (Them and Their)
- Use a person’s name in place of a pronoun
Expectations for Chosen Names
- Chosen names cannot be used for fraudulent or illegal purposes, or to misrepresent oneself.
- Changes to Chosen Name will be reviewed daily by the Records and Registration office.
- MCC reserves the right to deny requests for Chosen Names. Individuals whose Chosen Names are denied will have their name reverted to their Legal Name and will receive communication with further instructions/details. Any appeals to this decision will be referred to the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Under FERPA, a student’s name, including chosen name, may be disclosed to the public as directory information unless the student opts out. To revoke disclosure, please visit the MCC FERPA information page. The process and procedure to implement chosen names may be modified at the College’s discretion.
How to Provide a Chosen Name in Self-Service
Access Self-Service and select the username in the top right corner. Select User Profile, and Edit Personal Identity. Enter first, middle, and/or last name(s) that differ from your legal name, select pronouns, and select save.
Student Chosen Name will be displayed in the following areas:
- Self-Service User Profile
- Student Planning
- Student Schedule
- Faculty Overview-Show Chosen Name/Show Pronoun for Students
- Class Roster
- Permissions (Wavier and Petition/Faculty Consent)
- Advising Overview
- MCC Student ID
- Student Organization Roster
- Other college-wide systems that have a Chosen Name field available
- Email address/MCC login names will be changed via a process that occurs once per semester. Watch your MCC-issued student email address (@students.mchenry.edu) for details in the last two weeks of the semester.
- Mail sent to student’s Primary Address (excluding mail that must use Legal Name. Please see the next section for more details.)
If you do not want mail addressed to your chosen name to be sent to your primary address, visit Records and Registration. They can discontinue mail being sent to your home and hold it for you in their office instead.
Student Legal Name will continue to be used for the following official college records:
- Enrollment Verifications
- Official Transcripts
- Student Account Statement/Refunds/Checks
- Student Employment documents
- Payroll records
- Tax documents
- Financial aid documents and records
- Scholarship documents and records
- Verification requests
- Third-party reports such as to the National Student Clearinghouse
- Other reports or documents that require a legal name
- Student forms in “SoftDocs”
- Requests to have a diploma re-issued with chosen name must be made in the Records and Registration office.
Employee Chosen Name will be displayed in the following areas:
- Colleague Context Box
- Employee Directory
- Non-regulatory forms
- Email display “From” name
- Email/myMCC login names will be changed via a process that occurs monthly.
Employee Legal Name will continue to be used for the following official college records:
- Official issued documents such as:
- Payroll checks
- Reimbursement checks
- Tax Forms
- Terms and Conditions of Employment
- Personnel File
- Employment Verifications and Background Checks
- Benefits Enrollment