Sage Online Writing Lab (SOWL)
To access our online writing tutors, enroll in Canvas
- Enter your MCC username (ex: jsmith; do not add @mchenry.edu). Use ONLY your MCC username.
- Select the I already have a McHenry County College login button.
- Enter your MCC network password in the Password textbox.
- Select the Enroll in Course button.
- Select the Go to the Course button to open the Sage Online Writing Lab.
- Note: You only need to enroll once per semester. Once you're enrolled, Sage Online Writing Lab appears as one of your courses.
If you require assistance, call (815) 455-8579 with your MCC username ready.
Upload your work to be reviewed
Upload your document with a few brief notes to help us assist you, and we'll return a marked-up document with comments and advice from a Sage writing tutor.
- Once in Canvas, select Sage Online Writing Lab from the Courses menu
- Select Assignments from the menu at the left
- Open Online Writing Lab assignment.
- Follow the instructions in the assignment.
- You will receive a marked-up document with comments and advice from a Sage writing tutor.
Remember, just like our in-person tutoring services, online tutoring is not an editing or proofreading service. We will not identify every grammatical error in your paper and our focus may be on big-picture issues in your work rather than purely “editing.” Our aim is to help you improve your writing through a collaborative approach—there will still be work for you to do when you get your paper back!
- Papers submitted without comments identifying the student and assignment cannot be reviewed.
- Though you can begin the process by submitting on Canvas 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we require a two-business-day turnaround on all submissions. We will use our writing tutoring schedule as our definition of business days, with the business day closing when our tutoring ends for the day.
- We cannot work with lab reports online. Please bring this type of writing to the Sage.
- Maximum eight pages, not including references. If a longer document is submitted, we will only respond to the first eight pages and the references.
- Submit only one assignment at a time. You can have more than one paper in at once, but please create separate submissions for each.