The Computer Skills Certificate provides basic computer skills for Windows® operating systems and the Internet. Courses focus on current Microsoft® Office applications such as Word, Excel®, Access® and PowerPoint®. The skills and concepts learned in this certificate are relevant to any business setting.
Total Cost of Computer Skills Certificate
(in-district) Total Amount: $4,301.00
Credit Hours to Complete: 28
Weeks to Complete: 32
What makes MCC's Computer Skills Certificate program better than or distinct from similar programs at other institutions?
MCC's Administrative Office Management certificates and degree are designed to be stackable. Over 50 percent of the required courses for the Computer Skills Certificate can be applied towards the Administrative Office Management AAS degree and Administrative Office Management Certificate providing a pathway towards career advancements.
You'll learn from educated and experienced faculty who will share their valuable experience, knowledge, and troubleshooting skills with you.
You'll have the opportunity to complete the Core Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam upon completion of AOM122 – Word Processing II, AOM130 – Presentation Software; AOM231 – Spreadsheet Applications II, and AOM232 – Database Systems II for possible certification in the core exams for Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access.
In addition to the Computer Skills Certificate, we offer:
- Administrative Office Management AAS
- Help Desk Technician AAS
- Network Security AAS
What you need to know about getting your Computer Skills Certificate (CIP 52.0407 )
|Additional Computer Skills Certificate Costs||$1,221.00||$1,221.00||$1,221.00||$1,221.00|
What job opportunities are available to someone with a Computer Skills Certificate?
- Any position requiring Microsoft Office skills proficiency
- Administrative Assistant
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Help Desk and IT Positions
- Legal or Medical Office Assistant
- Office Clerk or Office Support Specialist
- Office Manager
|Occupation and Occupational Profile Link||SOC Code|
|Data Entry Keyers||43-9021|
How will MCC's Computer Skills Certificate program prepare me for my career or connect me to opportunities?
You will learn using current, industry-standard software (Microsoft Office) and train to the current standards in the field and towards certificate exams.
By the Numbers:
- Salary Range: Administrative Office Management positions vary by title and job sector, 2018 median annual wages for reported positions include:
- Data Entry - $32,000
- Executive Secretary and Executive Administrative Assistant - $61, 550
- Legal Secretary - $50,040
- Medical Secretary - $37,090
- Secretary and Administrative Assistants (except legal, medical, and executive) - $38,880
- Job Outlook:
- Microsoft Office skills rank #4 in the Top 20 Skills for All U.S. Occupations. Microsoft PowerPoint ranks #16.
- 7.5% of U.S. positions explicitly require Microsoft Office skills.
- Soft skills, reinforced by Microsoft programs, including communication, integration, and presentation skills are included in eight of the top 20 skills required for all positions and are required by over 40% of all U.S. job postings.
Source: IDC, based on WANTED Analytics and U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data, February 2016 and IDC: Keys to the Future: Align Workforce Readiness Skills to Ensure Student Success, April 2016.
What have graduates gone on to do?
Many students have continued with AOM classes towards the AOM AAS degree; however, they have been able to obtain "stepping-stone" or part-time positions even after completing the AOM Computer Skills certificate, while working towards the AOM AAS degree. Other students have been able to immediately apply their skills in current positions or apply for advancement within the same company.
Outside of the Classroom
In order to further your career, you may wish to seek national certification credentials beyond the Core Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification exam and MCC's certificate. Organizations offering certification exams include: