You aren't required to take math placement tests if you received:
- ACT math score 22 or higher (valid for 2 years from test date) or
- SAT (2016 or later) math score 530 or higher or
- you have prior college math credit
If you aren't required to take a math placement test, you will be placed in a math level based on your ACT/SAT scores. See the criteria for math levels »
If you don't know what placements tests you should take, please follow these guidelines. For transfer degrees, college-level English and math are required. For Applied Science degrees, college-level English is required and math may be required.
- Before starting your math placement process, you must have your myMCC username and password. You receive this information two to three days after you apply to MCC. You will be instructed to reset your password. If you need assistance with your username and password, call Registration at (815) 455-8588. You will not be able to take this test without accessing your myMCC account.
- Once you’ve received your myMCC username and password, you'll take an initial practice test. You can take your practice test on your own anywhere you have an internet connection. The practice test familiarizes you with the testing experience and allows the system to draw up a preparation and learning plan for you.
- You'll take all subsequent placement tests in the Testing Center.
- Once you begin your placement process, you will have access to your account for 12 months. You may take the test up to five times in that 12-month period at no charge. After twelve months, you must pay a $15 fee to reactivate an account to take additional math placement tests. If you’re unsure about your ALEKS access, please send an email to email@example.com or call (815) 479-7544.
- When you come to the Testing Center, you must bring a current photo ID and you'll need to know your myMCC username and password.
- The program has a non-graphing calculator included; a handheld calculator is not allowed.
- You're required to spend five hours of online study/review in the Prep and Learning module before taking test three, four, and five. Once you access your Prep and Learning modules, your Prep and Learning access will expire after six months so, complete your placement process on a timely basis.
- We'll use your highest test score for placement.
- The test is not timed but you should allow two hours for each test. Please arrive within two hours of the Testing Center closing to ensure you have enough time to complete your test.Schedule your math placement test
- Once you've begun a math class, you no longer qualify to take math placement testing.
|Test 1||Anywhere with internet connection||We recommend that you take Test 1 as a practice test. This test will determine your Prep and Learning Modules. Your score is not used for placement.|
|Test 2||Testing Center||Test 1 must be completed. We recommend working in the Prep and Learning Modules before taking Test 2. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 3||Testing Center||Minimum of five hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 2. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 4||Testing Center||Minimum of five additional hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 3. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 5||Testing Center||Minimum of five additional hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 3. Score is used for placement.|