Preparing for an Interview
You have the interview scheduled—now what? Follow these preparation points to be as successful as possible:
- Research the company/organization. Visit their webpage, know what they do, where they are located, and review the job description.
- Compare your skills with the company's needs.
- Practice interviewing and prepare some questions for the interviewer.
- Confirm the interview time and date.
- The Art of the Interview
- Dress appropriately.
- Be early – arrive about 15 minutes prior to the scheduled interview time.
- Convey confidence in your body language and in your attitude.
- Listen carefully to the interviewer.
- Follow up with a thank-you note no later than one business day after the interview. A written note is customary, but an email is also acceptable. Do not skip this step – a follow-up note is a great opportunity to remind them of who you are, what you talked about in the interview and why you are the best candidate for the job. Your note should include:
- Thanks to the interviewer for his or her time
- A reference to what was discussed in the interview
- Why you think you would be a good match
- If you were given a timeframe of when the interviewer would contact you and you have not heard back, wait two to five days and contact them to check on the decision.