Orientation Student Leaders
McHenry County College’s Orientation Student Leaders (OSLs) have the front-line responsibility of welcoming new MCC students and their families to the College. OSLs positively share what it means to be a student, and are an important part of making orientation and the transition to college exciting and enjoyable. OSLs have the unique opportunity to build leadership skills and develop communication skills all while giving back to the campus community.
- Welcome new students and families to MCC
- Guide new students through orientation activities
- Lead students on campus tours
- Sit on panel at Parent Orientation
- Become familiar with MCC degree and course information and campus resources
- Assists advisors during registration by helping students navigate the website and search for courses in the registration system
- Prepare orientation materials
- Attend all training sessions
- Takes photos and videos of the Orientation Experience for Social Media
- Actively post on Orientation Student Leader Social Media accounts
- Completes a minimum of one office hour a week (orientation material preparation, maintaining social media accounts, and student outreach etc.)
- Participate in MCC Palooza /Opening Day
- Currently enrolled at MCC for spring or summer and returning for the fall
- Good academic standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Minimum of one semester completed or in progress by the time of application
- Commitment to fulfill contract period of February-August and November-December
- Leadership and/or involvement experience (MCC, community, or high school activities)
- Positive attitude and public presence
- Knowledge of MCC and student life activities
- Concern for others and ability to interact well as a member of a team
Compensation and Employee benefits
- Paid hourly (Illinois minimum wage)
- Develop professional relationships with peers, faculty, staff and students
- Gain leadership experience valuable for career marketability and resume building
- Give back to the MCC campus community
- Enjoy two days of lunch during training
- Get OSL gear including t-shirts and lanyards
- Letter(s) of recommendation upon successful completion
- OSL's are required to participate in a combination of New-Student Orientations (NSO), Parent Orientations (PO), Convocation and a combination of meetings and office hours.
- There will be approximately 40-50 sessions running March-August, with 5-6 PO sessions running April-August.
- All students are required to work orientations throughout the duration of the summer.
- A minimum of 1 office hour must be completed during each week to prep orientation materials.
All candidates are required to submit an application, along with an updated resume and two professional references. Completed applications are to be submitted to the Advising and Transfer Center in A257. Resumes can be turned in with the applications, or can be emailed to Kristi Broda, Student Development Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org. There's still time to apply!.
Selection time line and process
McHenry County College hires Orientation Student Leaders for our orientation sessions which begin in the month of March and continue through August.