All new full-time students seeking a degree or certificate and part-time students registering for more than nine credits are required to complete a New-Student Orientation session on campus or online.
What is New-Student Orientation?
New-Student Orientation is provided as a service to new students to educate and inform about the following:
- MCC Resources
- Degree, certificate and transfer options
- Placement testing requirements
- Campus policies
- Registration and Advising
When is New-Student Orientation?
- Fall 2015 in-person NSO sessions are held from May to August.
- Online NSO is available for students 21 and older
- Registration is required. See below for Registration steps.
- Submit high school and college transcripts and ACT scores to Admissions, A262
- Complete any required placement tests in the Testing Center, A245.
TIP - Study before you test! Take placement tests seriously and use the following resources to review before you take placement tests.
- Download the Mathematics Review Manuals (Do not print in MCC computer labs).
- Basic Math, Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra - comprehensive review for math placement test, recommended for all students
- Elementary Algebra - in-depth review of MCC's MAT 095 content, best for students who wish to review only Elementary Algebra content or attend a Math Review Session
- Intermediate Algebra - in-depth review of MCC’s MAT 099 content, best for students who wish to review only Intermediate Algebra content or attend a Math Review Session
- College Algebra and Trigonometry - advanced review for math placement test, best for those who have reviewed Basic Math, Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra and who have taken pre-calculus or calculus in high school
- Purchase the Mathematics Review Manuals in the MCC Bookstore for around $5.
- Go online to take practice math, writing and reading placements tests at www.act.org/compass/tests.
- Take a Foreign Language Placement Test if you plan to register for a French, German, or Spanish course and have prior foreign language experience.
Please note: students can take the Foreign Language Placement test one time and testing is not an option after taking a college-level foreign language class.
Placement testing is not required if you received the following ACT scores:
- 21 or higher in English (valid for 5 years from test date).
- 22 or higher in math (valid for 2 years from test date) effective Spring 2013.
- Prior college English, math, or foreign language may be used for placement (subject to review).
Register for Fall 2015 New-Student Orientation
NSO registration begins Friday, March 6
Keep this webpage open so you can refer to these instructions and log on to myMCC using the username and password that MCC emailed to you.
- Once you've logged on, select Students Menu under My Toolbox
- Click on Registration
- Choose Course: Search | Select | Register | Drop and then Search and/or Select Credit Sections
- Type "Online NSO" in the search box
- Leave all other areas blank and click Search
- Choose a section that fits your schedule and Add to Preferred List
- Click on View Your Preferred List to see the section you have chosen
- Click on the Action drop-down menu in front of the section and select Register
- Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the preferred sections list and you will register for that NSO section.
You will see a message informing you that you have registered for the NSO section you selected. If you are unable to register online, please contact the Registration office directly at (815) 455-8588 to finalize your registration.