All new full-time students seeking a degree or certificate and part-time students registering for more than nine credits are required to complete a New-Student Orientation session on campus or online.
What is New-Student Orientation?
At NSO, new students will:
- Receive an overview of MCC Student Services
- Develop an understanding of degree, certificate and transfer options
- Take a tour of the campus
- Learn how to navigate myMCC
- Meet with an Academic Advisor to choose classes and register
When is New-Student Orientation?
- Fall 2014 in-person New-Student Orientation sessions are held from May - August. Registration is required.
- Online New-Student Orientation is available to students 21 and older.
- Registration for NSO is now available.
What is required prior to attending New-Student Orientation?
- Submit high school and college transcripts and ACT scores
- Complete any required placement tests in the Testing Center, A245.
TIP - Study before you test! Take placement tests seriously and use the following resources to review before you take placement tests.
- Attend a free math review session to avoid any unnecessary math courses. Review concepts from Elementary Algebra I (MAT 095) and Intermediate Algebra II (MAT 099) to prepare for the COMPASS placement exam.
- Download the Mathematics Review Manuals (Do not print in MCC computer labs).
- Basic Math, Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra - comprehensive review for math placement test, recommended for all students
- Elementary Algebra - in-depth review of MCC's MAT 095 content, best for students who wish to review only Elementary Algebra content or attend a Math Review Session
- Intermediate Algebra - in-depth review of MCC’s MAT 099 content, best for students who wish to review only Intermediate Algebra content or attend a Math Review Session
- College Algebra and Trigonometry - advanced review for math placement test, best for those who have reviewed Basic Math, Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra and who have taken pre-calculus or calculus in high school
- Purchase the Mathematics Review Manuals in the MCC Bookstore for around $5.
- Go online to take practice math, writing and reading placements tests at www.act.org/compass/tests.
- Take a Foreign Language Placement Test if you plan to register for a French, German, or Spanish course and have prior foreign language experience.
Please note: students can test one time and testing is not an option after taking a college-level foreign language class.
Placement testing is not required if you received the following ACT scores:
- 21 or higher in English (valid for 5 years from test date).
- 22 or higher in math (valid for 2 years from test date) effective Spring 2013.
- Prior college English, math, or foreign language may be used for placement (subject to review).
Register for Fall 2014 New-Student Orientation
NSO registration is now available
Keep this webpage open so you can refer to these instructions and log on to myMCC using the username and password that MCC emailed to you.
- Once you've logged on, select Students Menu under My Toolbox
- Click on Registration
- Choose Course: Search | Select | Register | Drop and then Search and/or Select Credit Sections
- Type "NSO" in the search box
- Leave all other areas blank and click Search
- Choose a section that fits your schedule and Add to Preferred List
- Click on View Your Preferred List to see the section you have chosen
- Click on the Action drop-down menu in front of the section and select Register
- Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the preferred sections list and you will register for that NSO section.
You will see a message informing you that you have registered for the NSO section you selected. If you are unable to register online, please contact the Registration office directly at (815) 455-8588 to finalize your registration.