New-Student Online Orientation (NSO)
- Register for Online NSO through myMCC
- Complete Online NSO by reading through the modules and completing the quiz. Start Online New-Student Orientation ⇒
- Take any required placement tests in the Testing Center, A245 (815) 455-8984.
- Study before you test! Take placement tests seriously and use the following resources to review before you take placement tests.
- Attend a free math review session to avoid any unnecessary math courses. Review concepts from Elementary Algebra I (MAT 095) and Intermediate Algebra II (MAT 099) to prepare for the COMPASS placement exam.
Meet with an Academic Advisor in A257 to choose classes and review degree, certificate or transfer requirements.
Register through myMCC
- Download the Mathematics Review Manuals (Not to be printed in MCC computer labs).
- Purchase the Mathematics Review Manuals in the MCC Bookstore for around $5.
- Go online to take practice math, writing and reading placements tests at www.act.org/compass/tests.
- Take a Foreign Language Placement Test if you plan to register for a French, German, or Spanish course and have prior foreign language experience. Please note: students can test one time and testing is not an option after taking a college-level foreign language class.
- Placement testing is not required if you received the following ACT scores:
- 21 or higher in English (valid for 5 years from test date).
- 22 or higher in math (valid for 2 years from test date) effective Spring 2013.
- Prior college English, math, or foreign language may be used for placement (subject to review).
© 2015. McHenry County College. All rights reserved. McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Hwy 14, Crystal Lake, Illinois 60012-2761 – (815) 455-3700