Frequently asked questions about Distance Learning
How do I register for a distance learning course?
What technology do I need to take an online course?
Recommended computer/technical requirements:
- Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP or higher
- Computer Processor: 1 GHz CPU Processor Speed
- Computer Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Hard Drive: 40 GB or Higher
- Internet Connection: High-Speed Internet Connection such DSL or cable
- Email Account
- Basic Software Applications: Internet browser, such as IE and Firefox, and Microsoft Office Software
- Antivirus: Current and up-to-date antivirus program
- Be sure all add-ons and/or plug-ins are updated (ie. Flash Player, etc.)
Do I need to attend some kind of orientation?
We strongly recommend that you go through the orientation module in Canvas, the Online Course Management System.
What skills do I need to take an online or blended course?
Where can I find information about tuition and fees?
What’s the difference between the terms “asynchronous” and “synchronous”?
In an asynchronous online environment, you can logon and attend “class” anytime and from anywhere. You're still required to finish weekly assignments on time as required by the instructor.
Synchronous describes real time instruction whereby students and instructors are engaging in an activity all at the same time. Some instructors use the chat room component in their online course to promote real time interaction.
To learn more terminology, review distance learning's Frequently Used Terms ⇒.