Nurse Assistant Education Certificate FAQ
How old do I have to be to take this course?
You must be 16 years old by the course completion date.
Do I have to be a high school graduate to take this class?
You must have a minimum of an eighth grade education to take this class.
Do I need to speak English?
You must complete RDG 090 with a grade of “B” or higher, the ACT Reading test with a score of 18 or higher, the COMPASS® Reading Placement test with a score of 48 or higher, or ENG 151 with a grade of “C” or higher. The COMPASS® Reading Placement test can be taken in the Testing Center. See Testing Center information.
Do I need to have a physical exam or proof of any immunizations?
You must present proof of a physical exam, using the Basic Nurse Assistant Medical Form, which states there are no restrictions that would interfere with your ability to complete the practical portion of this class, and a 2-step Mantoux TB test. The Mantoux TB tests are offered at the TB Clinic in Woodstock for a reasonable fee. Moderate to heavy physical activities will be required in the clinical setting.
How much does the course cost?
Course fees for lab equipment and supplies are included in the tuition payment, with the exception of the fee for the State Nurse Aide Competency Exam. See tuition and fees.
State law requires you to take the Nurse Aide Competency Exam after you successfully complete the class. The Competency Exam costs $60. Your instructor will tell you when to pay the fee. Only a money order will be accepted.
How do I enroll?
If you have not taken a class at MCC, you must first apply to the College.
- Admissions and Academic Planning
- All students must complete RDG 090 with a grade of “B” or higher, the ACT Reading test with a score of 18 or higher, the COMPASS® Reading Placement test with a score of 48 or ENG 151 with a grade of “C” or higher. The COMPASS Reading Placement test can be taken in the Testing Center. See Testing Center information
- Review course availability, see Course Timetables
- Review the list of requirements (and their deadlines) that must be completed before the first day of class.
- Fill out the Health Care Worker Background Check form, print it and return to MCC, E212.
What is the typical salary for a Certified Nursing Assistant in McHenry County?
A graduate of MCC’s Nursing Assistant program can expect an entry-level salary of $11 to $13 per hour.
Does MCC offer any other health-related career training?
Student interested in continuing their studies in health care are asked to contact the Advising and Transfer Center, located in A257, at (815) 479-7565.
How can I learn more about the State Competency Exam?
Review more about the State Competency Exams by visiting the Illinois Nurse Aide Testing Program.