The Horticulture AAS prepares you for the horticulture industry with specialties in floral design, greenhouse, landscape, and urban agriculture.
You'll come away with a solid knowledge of plant production and maintenance, ready for positions in flower shops, greenhouses, garden centers, golf courses, parks, nurseries, turf and landscape businesses, interiorscape maintenance companies, and the seed and supply industry. Your internship will provide you insight into the day-to-day operations of running a flower shop, landscape design or other horticulture business.
Total Cost of Horticulture AAS
(in-district) Total Amount: $9,952.00
Credit Hours to Complete: 60
Weeks to Complete: 64
What makes MCC's Horticulture AAS program better than or distinct from similar programs at other institutions?
- MCC's smaller classes offer you more individualized attention.
In addition to the Horticulture AAS, we offer:
- Floral Design Certificate
- Gardening Certificate
- Greenhouse Certificate
- Landscape Management Certificate
- Turf and Golf Course Management Certificate
“I began taking classes in basic horticulture, and this sparked my interest in floral design. With the help of a very talented department, I found my niche. I moved from part-time student to full-time business owner, proving you never know where life at MCC will lead you.” -- Betty Crisp, Owner, Apple Creek Flowers
What you need to know about getting your Horticulture AAS (CIP 01.0601 )
|Additional Horticulture AAS Costs||$3,532.00||$3,532.00||$3,532.00||$3,532.00|
What job opportunities are available to someone with a Horticulture AAS?
- Landscape Laborer
- Landscape Maintenance Supervisor
- Plant Propagator
- Garden Center Manager
- Farm Manager
- Landscape Designer
- Floral Designer
|Occupation and Occupational Profile Link||SOC Code|
|Agricultural Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary||25-1041|
|Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers||11-9013|
|First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers||37-1012|
How will MCC's Horticulture AAS program prepare me for my career or connect me to opportunities?
MCC's horticulture program is closely linked to the local horticulture industry:
- Local employers offer internships in all areas of the field.
- Former MCC students have been hired by local landscape and design companies, crop producers and golf courses.
- MCC's adjunct instructors work in field and are up-to-date with latest trends of industry.
By the Numbers:
- Illinois salary range $22,600 to $66,900 in landscape, lawn, and grounds care
- Illinois projection 17% growth in landscape jobs between 2010 and 2020
What have graduates gone on to do?
- Farm manager of local educational sustainable agriculture farm
- Farm manager of local cut flower farm
- Plant propagator of major horticultural seed company in NE Illinois
- Grounds worker for Chicago area suburban park district
- Owner of flower shop
- Working on B.S. Degree in Horticulture at four-year institution
Outside of the Classroom
Already an MCC student?
Interested in getting started at MCC?
Send me more information about this program and MCC.
Ask us to contact you »