Your computer savvy and attention to detail benefit your next employer as you prepare for a career in Health Information Technology. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Health Information Technology (HIT) prepares you for an entry-level job as health information technician. Join this fast-growing field where you:
- electronically assemble and track patients' health information
- analyze electronic data to improve healthcare information
- maintain and validate data for clinical databases and registries
- use classification software to assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis
You can apply all credits from your Medical Billing and Coding Certificate towards your AAS. Complete the certificate in two semesters then continue coursework toward the completion of the Health Information Technology AAS, or work for some time and then return to complete the degree.
The associates degree Health Information Management Program is in Candidacy Status, pending accreditation review by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Health Information Technology Information Session Schedule
- May 12 at 4:30 p.m. in A123
Total Cost of Health Information Technology AAS
(in-district) Total Amount: $10,376.00
Credit Hours to Complete: 61
Weeks to Complete: 64
In addition to the Health Information Technology AAS, we offer:
What you need to know about getting your Health Information Technology AAS (CIP 51.070)
|Additional Health Information Technology AAS Costs||$4,032.00||$4,032.00||$4,032.00||$4,032.00|
What job opportunities are available to someone with a Health Information Technology AAS?
The Health Information Technology AAS prepares you for positions like: health information coding technicians, medical records managers, medical coding compliance officers, medical office records assistants, patient charts and records medical assistants, remote medical encoders, medical reimbursement specialist, medical information technology educators, and a variety of other titles focused on working with the data needs in all types of medical-related professions and organizations.
|Occupation and Occupational Profile Link||SOC Code|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||29-2071|
How will MCC's Health Information Technology AAS program prepare me for my career or connect me to opportunities?
All of MCC's Health Information Technology courses are taught by professionals working in the field. In addition to learning about real-life situations from experienced professionals, you'll meet with MCC's career services coordinator who will help you construct resumes, begin the job search process, participate in mock interviews, and other activities to prepare you for your job search and success in the Health Information Technology field.
By the Numbers:
- Nationally, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment for health information technicians to grow by 22% per year between 2012 and 2022. This growth is expected to result in an increase of 41,100 jobs by 2022.
- In Illinois, the job market is expected to grow 7% by the year 2020.
- According to the IDES 2012 occupational wage data, an entry level health information technician earned an annual wage of $24,862, the median annual wage for a health information technician is $33,281 and an experienced health information technician can earn $42,333 annually.
Already an MCC student?
Interested in getting started at MCC?
Send me more information about this program and MCC.
Ask us to contact you »
Semesters to complete assumes students are taking a full-time credit load of 12 credits per semester (the minimum required for federal financial aid).
Proportion of students completing in normal time is the percentage of FY12 completers who earned the credential within the specified time of their first enrollment at the College.
Students attending part-time or changing their program of study are two common reasons why they may not complete in "normal" time.
Tuition and fees are set by the Board of Trustees. Prices for books and supplies are subject to change.
See additional information about international student costs.