Latino Empowerment Conference
The purpose of the Latino Empowerment Conference is to inform, empower, and encourage Latino High School students to think about higher education. Students are able to pick workshops that relate to the pursuit of higher education, such as applying to college, paying for college, as well as opportunities to speak with Latino staff and students at MCC!
H.S. Seniors can apply to MCC for FREE at the conference.
Please contact Candice Johnson (815) 479-7749 or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions or concerns.
Time: 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Drop off location: Building B, door near flag poles.
Everyone, including high school staff (teachers, advisors, counselsors, etc.) must register using this website.
The Conference is FREE! Lunch is provided.
Please register by Friday February 3, 2017.
ALL PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOLS CAN BE REIMBURSED FOR TRANSPORTATION!
How to get reimbursed for MCC Latino Empowerment Conference Transportation
- Submit a Transportation Reimbursement Request within 31 days of the conference (March 27, 2017).
- Forms must be submitted by email to email@example.com. Please add “Transportation Reimb LEC MCC” to the email’s subject line.
- MCC Student Panel
MCC college students will discuss college life. They will speak in regards to balancing school, work, and personal life, as well as why they chose MCC. The differences between college and high school will be discussed and how to take the proper steps to become successful in a new environment.
- Latino Professionals and You (Latino Professionals Panel)
Learn first-hand from Latino professionals who have gone through college to further their education. They will talk about their professions and their work ethic. They will discuss how they chose their career and give advice on how to choose what career is right for you.
- Getting Involved in College
Hear from MCC’s Student Activities Coordinator about all the difference student activities that are available here at MCC. Learn how getting involved in college is connected to making connections, enhancing your college experience, and to building your resume.
- Road to College–From ACT to the First Day
Let MCC staff guide you through the winding road from ACT prep to your first day of class in college!
- Finding Resources to Pay for College
As you know, college can be expensive. Learn about Financial Aid, Scholarships, and other resources to help fund your education!
- 8 to 8:30 a.m. - Registration, Commons
- 8:40 to 8:50 a.m. - Welcome by MCC President, Gym/Multi-purpose room
- 9 to 11 a.m. - Leadership Forum, Gym/Multi-purpose room
- 11:10 to 11:50 a.m. - Breakout Session Workshop 1 (choose from the workshops above)
- Noon to 12:50 p.m. - Lunch, Commons
- 1 to 1:40 p.m. - Breakout Session Workshop 2 (choose from the workshops above)
- 1:50 to 2:20 p.m. - Closing/Activity/Prizes
“Always work hard, be honest, and be proud of who you are.”