There continues to be demand for early childhood teachers. New childcare centers are opening within McHenry County and there are available positions. MCC's Early Childhood Education AAS program helps prepare you for work in a variety of roles and settings: preschool, center-based care, family home child care, professional nanny, day camp and before/after school care. Typical duties might include:
- Planning and implementing developmentally appropriate lessons and activities
- Providing a safe, nurturing environment for young children
- Acting as a resource for parents and families
The state requires each preschool/child care teacher to complete 15 clock hours of workshops or in-service per year. MCC courses and workshops can be used to meet this requirement.
An Early Childhood Education AAS helps you meet the teacher recommendations of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Total Cost of Early Childhood Education AAS
(in-district) Total Amount: $10,428.00
Credit Hours to Complete: 62
Weeks to Complete: 64
What makes MCC's Early Childhood Education AAS program better than or distinct from similar programs at other institutions?
- The early childhood program at MCC offers hands-on activities and experiences in all of the courses. You'll observe and participate in classrooms that are staffed by experienced early childhood teachers.
- 90% of ECE students are hired within three months of graduation
In addition to the Early Childhood Education AAS, we offer:
What you need to know about getting your Early Childhood Education AAS (CIP 19.070)
|Additional Early Childhood Education AAS Costs||$3,980.00||$3,980.00||$3,980.00||$3,980.00|
What job opportunities are available to someone with an Early Childhood Education AAS?
Preschool or childcare teacher
|Occupation and Occupational Profile Link||SOC Code|
How will MCC's Early Childhood Education AAS program prepare me for my career or connect me to opportunities?
- Students who obtain the AAS degree in early childhood education are both teacher and director qualified. Those who complete this degree could be hired to work as preschool/child care teachers or center assistant directors/directors.
The following childcare centers in McHenry County actively recruit early childhood students from our program
- McHenry County Head Start
- Friendship House
- Bright Horizons
By the Numbers:
- Salaries vary depending on the type of employment setting. While private preschool/child care settings pay approximately $10 to $12 per hour, many corporate centers pay close to $15 per hour with experience.
What have graduates gone on to do?
- Graduates with this degree have gone on to become preschool/childcare teachers or center assistant directors/directors
Outside of the Classroom
Already an MCC student?
Department Chair: (815) 479-7767
Free Online Illinois Basic Skill Test Prep for MCC students
Call (815) 479-7565 for more info and password.
Interested in getting started at MCC?
Send me more information about this program and MCC.
Ask us to contact you ⇒