The Chef's Assistant I Certificate builds a strong foundation that allows you to further specialize as you progress in your career in the culinary industry. You'll study sustainable food preparation, handling, sanitation and safety, as well as business and management principles. This course of study gives you the knowledge and hands-on skills needed for entry-level positions, including (but not limited to): line cook, line lead cook, commis, chef assistant, prep cook, soup or sauce cook, and similar positions in institutional food service, small to large hospitality operations, cruise ships and more.
Total Cost of Chef's Assistant I Certificate
(in-district) Total Amount: $2,947.00
Credit Hours to Complete: 19
Semesters to Complete: 2
What makes MCC's Chef's Assistant I Certificate program better than or distinct from similar programs at other institutions?
In addition to the Chef's Assistant I Certificate, we offer:
- Assistant Confectioner Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Assistant I Certificate
- Baking and Pastry Management AAS
- Culinary Management AAS
What you need to know about getting your Chef's Assistant I Certificate (CIP 12.0505)
|Additional Chef's Assistant I Certificate Costs||$1,028.00||$1,028.00||$1,028.00||$1,028.00|
What job opportunities are available to someone with a Chef's Assistant I Certificate?
|Occupation and Occupational Profile Link||SOC Code|
|Cooks, All Other||35-2019|
|Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria||35-2012|
|Cooks, Private Household||35-2013|
How will MCC's Chef's Assistant I Certificate program prepare me for my career or connect me to opportunities?
By completing the Sanitation and Safety course, you are eligible to sit for the State of Illinois Sanitation Certificate examination.
By the Numbers:
- Salary Range: Most fields offer excellent earnings expectations and potential.
- Job Outlook:
- On average there are more than 800 openings in the culinary field in McHenry County alone
- Ninety percent of students find jobs in culinary arts within one year of graduation
What have graduates gone on to do?
Outside of the Classroom
Already an MCC student?
Department Chair: (815) 479-7741
Interested in getting started at MCC?
Send me more information about this program and MCC.
Ask us to contact you ⇒
- All students in lab skills classes are required to have the approved MCC student uniform, hat and tool kit. Uniforms and tool kits are ordered via an outside vendor. Please be aware that the vendor is not able to accept financial aid as a form of payment. Students may submit receipts for uniforms and tool kits to financial aid for reimbursement.
- Meet the Chefs
- Culinary Courses
- Pastry Courses
- Culinary Program Student Code of Conduct
Semesters to complete assumes students are taking a full-time credit load of 12 credits per semester (the minimum required for federal financial aid).
Proportion of students completing in normal time is the percentage of FY12 completers who earned the credential within the specified time of their first enrollment at the College.
Students attending part-time or changing their program of study are two common reasons why they may not complete in "normal" time.
Tuition and fees are set by the Board of Trustees. Prices for books and supplies are subject to change.
See additional information about international student costs.