Temples and Tropical Forest Field Studies in Belize
October through December 2015
[Field Study Onsite in Belize: December 12 through 17, 2015]
Experience a new kind of learning through a combination of technology and in-person study. Temples and Tropical Forest Field Studies in Belize is a new, eight-week online course that interconnects anthropology and biology, bringing learning to life.
About the Course
- Three instructors co-teaching the course (Dr. Judi Cameron, anthropology; Dr. Bev Dow, biology; Kate Kramer, earth science and geology)
- Instructors accompany students onsite during field study in Belize
- Complete field assignments directly related to coursework
- Hands-on learning through cultural interaction
- Interview local Belizians
- St. Herman’s Cave
- Medicinal plant hike
- Cacao plantation
- Baboon (howler monkey) sanctuary
- Mayan Ruins
- Iguana conservation
- Cave tubing
- Anyone who has completed at least 12 college credit hours, with a minimum GPA of 2.75 (requirement)
- Credit students who are interested in anthropology or life science
- Credit students who are interested in Belize and its culture
- Community members who are willing to participate in all group activities and excursions related to coursework
- Those individuals who are 18 years of age by the first date of the field study portion (December 12, 2015) (requirement - a valid passport must be presented at time of departure)
How to Register
In order to register for this course, you must request a field studies program application from Dr. Bev Dow, (815) 479-7678. Upon acceptance to the program, you can register for the course with Instructor Consent.
Tuition, plus $1,950 - per student
Field study cost includes: airfare, lodging (shared room), transfers, most meals, field trips and excursions, faculty guides. Pricing subject to change.
Need financial assistance? MCC has an abundance of scholarships available for the fall semester. Inquire with Bev Dow at (815) 479-7678.
Important Travel Information
- Belize is an English-speaking country.
- Must present a valid passport at time of departure.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of departure (December 12, 2015).
- Lodging: Sleeping Giant Rainforest Lodge-Belize