Born and raised in the Twin Cities, I moved to the Chicago area in 1984. When my three children were all in school, I decided to go back to school myself to study art. As an undergraduate, my emphasis was in drawing and watercolor painting, until I transferred to Northern Illinois University where I rediscovered a love of metals that was born years ago in high school. I received my Bachelor of Fine Arts in 3-D Studio, Metal and Jewelry in 2002, and then continued on to complete a Masters of Fine Arts in 3-D Studio, Metal and Jewelry in December 2005.
I am currently employed by McHenry County College in Crystal Lake, IL, where I started their jewelry/metals program in 2004 which now includes three sections each of two levels of curriculum, Jewelry I, Jewelry II, as well as teaching art appreciation. I also teach at the College of Lake County covering Beginning Jewelry, Art Appreciation, and Art History.
I have been a Designer and Production Manager at A Pirates Treasure Custom Jewelry, in DeKalb, IL, for the past six years, and I maintain a private studio doing commissioned art, jewelry, and conducting lectures and workshops.
I have been a member of the Chicago Metal Arts Guild (CMAG) since 2003, and have served on the events committee since 2007. In 2008 I successfully hosted and conducted the workshop "Etching on Metal" at McHenry County College in Crystal Lake, and organized (along with Debbye Simpson) the Arline Fitch workshop "Woven and Plaited Metals" at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago. In 2009 I hosted (with the help of Syndi Simon) the Nol Yovovich workshop "Color on Metal: Anodizing Titanium" at McHenry County College. I have served on the Board of Directors since October 2008, filling the position of Events Committee Chair for most of 2009, and was named to the Treasurers position in March 2009. I am currently represented by Last Chance Gallery, in Lutsen, Minnesota, and in July 2008 participated in their annual summer festival/exhibition, "Women of Fiber" by conduction demonstrations in ancient woven chain techniques.
In October 2009, I was instrumental in bringing the metal exhibit "Yuka Okane Inoue: Metals" to McHenry County College. In the spring of 2010 I will be conducting the workshop "Chains, Terminations and Clasps" at McHenry County College for CMAG, as well as the workshop "Etching on Metal" for the Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles, Illinois. I am again participating in the annual summer festival/exhibition ("The Art of Living") at Last Chance Gallery, in Lutsen, Minnesota in August 2010.
- 2008 Metals, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- 2007 Essential Interconnectedness, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- 2005 Essential Interconnectedness, DeKalb Gallery, DeKalb, Illinois
- 2005 Crossroads, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- 2002 Reconciliation, DeKalb Area Womens Center, DeKalb, Illinois
- 2002 Reconciliation, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois
- Chicago Metal Arts Guild Annual Members Exhibit, Under The Wire Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- Spring Art Underground Invitational, Betsy Bowen Studio, Grand Marais, Minnesota
- McHenry County College Faculty Exhibition, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Northwest Area Arts Council Autumn Showcase, Crystal Lake, Illinois (Peoples Choice Award)
- College of Lake County Faculty Exhibition, College of Lake County, Grayslake, Illinois
- 2008 Spring Art Underground at the Old Playhouse Invitational, Betsy Bowen Studio, Grand Marais, Minnesota
- 2007 McHenry County College Faculty Exhibition, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Northern Illinois University MFA Exhibition, NIU Art Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- Northwest Area Arts Council's 19th Annual Women's Works, Woodstock, Illinois. Sandra Perlow, Judging
- Chicago Metal Arts Guild Juried Members Exhibit, Suburban Fine Arts Center, Highland Park, Illinois
- Northwest Area Arts Council's 18th Annual Women's Works, Woodstock, Illinois. Kate Biderbost and Susan Aurinko, Jurors. (Honorable Mention)
- McHenry County College Faculty Exhibit, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Northern Illinois University Graduate Group Exhibition, DeKalb, Illinois. Karla Hackenmiller, Juror
- 2004 Midwest Metalsmiths 40th Annual Holiday Exhibition
See more of Kim's work at her professional website.