- You aren't required to take math placement tests if you received:
- ACT math score 22 or higher (valid for 2 years from test date) or
- SAT (pre-2016) math score 520 or higher or
- SAT (2016 or later) math score 550 or higher or
- you have prior college math credit.
If you aren't required to take a math placement test, you will be placed in a math level based on your ACT/SAT scores. See the criteria for math levels »
If you don't know which placement tests you should take, please consult an advisor. New full-time students will meet with an advisor during New-Student Orientation.
- You'll take an initial practice test. You can take your practice test on your own anywhere you have an internet connection. The practice test familiarizes you with the testing experience and allows the system to draw up a preparation and learning plan for you.
- You'll take all subsequent placement tests in the Testing Center. You may take the test up to five times in a twelve-month period at no charge.
- Prior to coming to the Testing Center, be sure you can access your myMCC account with your username and password. If you don't have a username and password, or have forgotten yours, contact Registration at (815) 455-8588. You will not be able to take this test without accessing your myMCC account.
- When you come to the Testing Center, you must bring a current photo ID and you'll need to know your myMCC username and password. No appointment necessary.
- The program has a non-graphing calculator included; a handheld calculator is not allowed.
- You're required to spend five hours of online study/review in the Prep and Learning module before taking test 3, 4, and 5.
- We'll use your highest test score for placement.
- The test is not timed but you should allow 60-90 minutes for each test. You cannot begin a test within two hours of the Testing Center closing hours so arrive at least two hours before closing time.
- Once you've begun a math class, you no longer qualify to take math placement testing.
|Test 1||Anywhere with internet connection||We recommend that you take Test 1 as a practice test. This test will determine your Prep and Learning Modules. Your score is not used for placement.|
|Test 2||Testing Center||Test 1 must be completed. We recommend working in the Prep and Learning Modules before taking Test 2. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 3||Testing Center||Minimum of five hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 2. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 4||Testing Center||Minimum of five additional hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 3. Score is used for placement.|
|Test 5||Testing Center||Minimum of five additional hours in the Prep and Learning Modules is required and one-day waiting period after Test 3. Score is used for placement.|