- You aren't required to take an English placement test if you received:
- 21 or higher in English on your ACT; or
- SAT (pre-2016) composite reading and writing score of 990 or writing score of 490 or higher
- SAT (2016 or later) composite reading and writing score of 550
Scores are valid for five years from test date. If you don't know which placement tests you should take, please consult an advisor. New full-time students will meet with an advisor during New-Student Orientation.
- The English placement test includes an essay and a reading comprehension section and it begins with a tutorial that explains how to take the test.
- You'll read a short passage and a related question using a tool called WritePlacer. Then, you'll be asked to answer the question in a multi-paragraph essay (300 – 600 words) with no time limit. WritePlacer will grade your essay based on thing like purpose and focus, organization and structure and sentence variety and style.
- The reading comprehension test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. There is no time limit.
- We administer placement tests in the Testing Center during regular business hours without appointments. Come to the Testing Center, A245, at least two and a half hours before closing time to take the English placement test.
- You can retake the English placement test as many times as you like but you must pay a $5 fee in Registration, A258 for each retake.
- MCC can provide accommodations for eligible incoming students for placement testing. Contact Access and Disabilities.
- Review sample essays and scores
- Download the ACCUPLACER Study App to your pc, phone or tablet
- Take a practice test - focus on the WritePlacer and reading comprehension sections
|Reading Score (0-120)|
|54 and below||55-72||73-106||107+|
|WritePlacer Score (1-8)||1-2||see below*||see below*||see below*||see below*|
|3||see below*||see below*||ENG 095/097||see below*|
|4||see below*||see below*||ENG 095/097||ENG 151|
|5||see below*||ENG 095/097||ENG 151||ENG 151|
|6+||see below*||ENG 151||ENG 151||ENG 151|
*The English department will mail you a letter with your placement results or further instructions.
|0-39||Contact an advisor|
|73+||No reading required|